The Stuart M.S. in Sustainability Management (SMgt) is one of only a few programs of its kind in the world and the only environmental sustainability program in Chicago to be offered within a business school. Graduates are equipped to work in environmental sustainability and compliance management, as consultants, entrepreneurs, and professionals who can successfully make the business case for sustainability.
Environmental sustainability has emerged as a major challenge for societies and businesses alike, one requiring solutions from experts in business, environmental management, ethics, and social responsibility. The SMgt program integrates law, science, and business to answer the increasing demand for management professionals capable of leading in this sector by collaborating with scientists and engineers to find environmentally-conscious business solutions.
The SMgt program is a STEM designated program and international graduates are eligible to apply for an extension for Optional Practical Training (OPT).
8 core courses
3 elective/concentration courses
33 total credit hours
Degree typically takes 1-2 years of full-time study or 4-5 years of part-time study
Business Core Courses
- Building an Innovative and Sustainable Business
- Business Analytics for Competitive Advantage
- Business Innovation in the Next Economy
Sustainability Management Core Courses
- Contemporary and Emerging Laws Governing the Environment
- Environmental Policy in a Competitive World
- Environmental Pollution Prevention and Control Strategies
- Industrial Ecology and Systems Thinking
- Environmental Finance
- Completed Online Application
- Minimum cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- GMAT or GRE score within five years of testing date. The GRE or GMAT requirement may be waived on a case-by-case basis for highly qualified applicants based on work experience and prior academic performance.
- Professional Statement
- Official TOEFL or IELTS score, if required.