The Stuart M.S. in Environmental Management and Sustainability (E.M.S.) is one of only a few programs of its kind in the world and the only environmental sustainability program in Chicago to be offered within a business school. Graduates are equipped to work in environmental sustainability and compliance management as consultants, entrepreneurs, and professionals who can successfully make the business case for sustainability.
Environmental sustainability has emerged as a major challenge for societies and businesses alike, one requiring solutions from experts in business, environmental management, ethics, and social responsibility. The E.M.S. program integrates law, science, and business to answer the increasing demand for management professionals capable of leading in this sector by collaborating with scientists and engineers to find environmentally-conscious business solutions.
The E.M.S. program is a STEM designated program and international graduates are eligible to apply for an extension for Optional Practical Training (OPT).
The new Chicago Talent Pipeline Scholarship supports motivated individuals to advance their career paths in Chicago’s dynamic environmental management and sustainability industry. Domestic candidates for the M.S. Environmental Management and Sustainability program can apply for the scholarship, which awards students up to $20,000 towards this degree program.
8 core courses
3 elective/concentration courses
33 total credit hours
Degree typically takes 1-2 years of full-time study or 4-5 years of part-time study
Environmental Management and Sustainability Core Courses
- EMS 502: Environmental Law
- EMS 503: Environmental Pollution Control
- EMS 504: Industrial Ecology
- EMS 505: Environmental Economics and Finance
- EMS 512: Environmental Risk Assessment
- BUS 550: Business Statistics
- EMS 541: Sustainable Energy Systems
- EMS 543: Environmental Compliance and Regulation
- Completed Online Application
- Minimum cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- GMAT or GRE score within five years of testing date. Required scores for consideration: 298 GRE or 500 GMAT. Requirement may be waived on a case-by-case basis for highly-qualified applicants based on work experience and prior academic performance.
- Official TOEFL or IELTS score, if required. A minimum score of 85 on the internet-based TOEFL, 600 on the paper-based TOEFL, or 7.0 on the IELTS exam is required for admission consideration.
IIlinois Tech is pleased to be participating in the Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program. A provision of the Post 9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008, the Yellow Ribbon program is a scholarship extended to eligible veteran students. Learn more.
Stuart offers certificate programs specifically designed for working professionals who want to enhance their professional knowledge.
- Compliance and Pollution Prevention
- Sustainable Enterprise
Dual Degree Programs
Consider advancing your career exponentially by also completing your M.B.A. simultaneously. Dual enrollment can reduce degree requirements by up to 12 M.B.A. crdits and six M.S. credits.
Offered in conjunction with Illinois Tech's Chicago-Kent College of Law. Dual enrollment can reduce degree requirements by six M.S. E.M.S. crdits and additional reductions in J.D. credits. Please note: The admission process for Chicago-Kent is separate from that of Stuart.